CaRDI would like to help keep our community up-to-date with COVID-19 related announcements and resources for community development.
- Rural COVID-19 Cases Lag Urban Areas but Are Growing Much More Rapidly
- USDA Implements Immediate Measures to Help Rural Residents, Businesses and Communities Affected by COVID-19
- Why Coronavirus Could Hit Rural Areas Harder
- Spanish informational webinar: “Los trabajadores agrícolas y el coronavirus: Lo que debe saber y lo que puede hacer ahora” | Monday, April 13 at 6:30 p.m. | Clic aquí para registrarse y enviar sus preguntas.
- The CDC is offering an update for rural partners, stakeholders, and communities on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Response | Recording available here
- National Extension Tourism Special Webinar: Adapting Extension Tourism Programming for COVID-19 | Thursday April 23, 1 p.m. | Register here
- Food Systems Finance Webinar Series being offered by Council of Development Finance Agencies
- Disaster Recovery for the Food System – April 16, 2020
- The Landscape of Food Systems Finance – May 28, 2020
- Neighborhood Revitalization Through Food Systems Finance – July 30, 2020
- Financing Food Systems Entrepreneurs – September 29, 2020
- The Teaching Company, a Smithsonian partner, has made available for free its entire online course on Infectious Diseases.
Resources from the Cornell Farmworker Program
Spanish informational webinar: “Los trabajadores agrícolas y el coronavirus: Lo que debe saber y lo que puede hacer ahora” on Monday April 13 at 6:30 p.m.
We suggest that producers set up a farm meeting with their workers for the Spanish language call in with Dr. Canario, Medical Director of Finger Lakes Community Health during which he will discuss the coronavirus, what it is, how to protect oneself, and what one should do now with Q and A on Monday, April 13, 2020 at 6:30 PM. He will also respond to questions submitted in advance. Click here to register and submit questions
Please share this information widely to Spanish speaking farmworkers:
El Programa de Apoyo a los Trabajadores Agrícolas de la Universidad de Cornell y Finger Lakes Community Health (la clínica) invita cordialmente a los trabajadores agrícolas a una llamada gratuita con el Doctor José Canario.“Los trabajadores agrícolas y el coronavirus: Lo que debe saber y lo que puede hacer ahora.” Doctor José Canario, Director de Medicina del Finger Lakes Community Health explicara el coronavirus y responderá a sus preguntas. Por favor invite a sus compañeros de trabajo y familiares. La llamada será moderada por Mary Jo Dudley, Programa de Apoyo a los Trabajadores Agrícolas. Lunes, Abril 13, 2020 a las 6:30 PM. Clic aquí para registrarse y enviar sus preguntas.
- Recording of informational webinar "Farmworkers and Coronavirus: What you should know and what you can do now"
- Resources for undocumented communities
- Informational video in Spanish about the coronavirus
- Informational video in Mam about the coronavirus
Resources from the Rural Schools Association of NY
As everyone gets bombarded from all directions with news and changing protocols around the COVID-19 situation, we at the Rural Schools Association of NY would like to help teachers, students, and families find ways to cope. Below, find resources for helping children cope, curricula and distance learning, additional materials for education and/or for self care, and importantly, for FUN!
First, the important stuff – mental health:
- 5 Ways to Help Children Cope with Coronavirus Anxiety from the Education Development Center.
- Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic from Child Trends
- A Guide to Getting Started with Distance Learning from BetterLesson.
- Free Emergency Curriculum from the Charlotte Mason Institute.
- Daily Free Learning Workbooks for Teachers to Share with Parents while Schools are Closed – Kids will actually do these!
Materials that could be education AND self-care:
- How to remotely access the holdings of the New York Public Library
- Stuck at Home? These 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take On Your Couch (Video) from Travel + Leisure
- Free online concerts
- Live cams & educational materials from zoos and aquariums.
- Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus reads a story about Mike Robes [microbes] (video)
- Paris Opera streaming operas and ballets for free
- Some of our teachers reading books!
- Google now lets you explore U.S. National Parks via 360-degree virtual tours
- Use Your Time in Isolation to Learn Everything You’ve Always Wanted To: Free Online Courses, Audiobooks, eBooks, Movies, Coloring Books & More.
- List of Animal Cams from Adventure Journal
- Actor Josh Gad Is Reading books to Kids Online Every Night During Coronavirus Quarantines
- All the virtual concerts, plays, museums and other culture you can enjoy from home
- Livestreamed Readings of Shakespeare
And don’t forget recess…