CaRDI hosted a State of Upstate New York Conference in June 2011 in Syracuse, NY. A strong regional focus on Upstate recognizes that communities and cities will be more successful in meeting their development goals if they understand their challenges and opportunities in a regional context. Upstate New York is comprised of dynamic regions each with their own set of assets. The regions are also united in some of the challenges that they face. The conference focused on urban/suburban/rural issues and interdependencies across various upstate regions. The event was data-driven, engaging and focused on community resiliency, partnerships and innovation.
Key Note Address, June 8
Key Note Address, June 9
Agriculture and Food Systems
Local and Regional Governance
- Gerald Benjamin, "Session Outline"
- Kathryn Foster, "Making Change in Upstate NY"
- Michael Hattery, "Appalachian New York - A Region?"
Community and Energy
- Susan Christopherson, "A Forward Look at Upstate New York"
- Robert Sullivan, "Re-Envisioning Upstate New York Cities through Sustainable Urban Design, Placemaking and Green Infrastructure"
- Linda Dickerson Hartsock, "Regional Innovation Clusters"
- William Streck, "State of Upstate: Health Care"
- Don Barber, "Local Government Cooperation"
- Patrick Rogers, "Southern Tier Metropolitan, Micropolitan, Non-Core"
- William White, "Health Care and the Policy Environment"
Environment, Land Use and Natural Resources
- M. Margaret Bryant, "Environment, Land Use and Natural Resources"
- Paul Beyer, "Infrastructure and Land Use: 'A Chicken and Egg Debate'
- Chris Carrick, "Environment, Land Use and Natural Resources"
- Susan Riha, "Toward A State Water Plan: Water Supplies"
Poverty and Income
Schools and Youth
- John Sipple, "State of Upstate NY: Schools and Youth"
- William Duncombe, "Policy Options to Improve School Finance Efficiency and Equity in a Time of Austerity"
- Deborah Cunningham, "Containing Costs and Supporting Improved Student Achievement"
- Melinda Person, "Property Tax Caps: A Threat to Our Jobs, Schools and Communities"
- Richard Deitz, "Changes in the Workforce of Upstate New York"
- Janet Mayo, "Upstate New York Workforce"
- Kimberly Townsend, "State of Upstate New York - Workforce Trends"