The virtual explosion of data available on the internet can make access, interpretation, and use of data particularly challenging. There are many tools available that can help users access, compile, interpret and analyze data across various subject areas and for multiple levels of geography. This section points to a few such tools that CaRDI has found to be especially relevant and helpful.
- Headwaters Economy Profile System - Human Dimensions Toolkit (EPS-HDT): http://headwaterseconomics.org/tools/eps-hdt
- Download socioeconomic reports of communities, counties, & states, including aggregations and comparisons. The Economic Profile System (EPS) uses federal data sources, including the Bureaus of Economic Analysis, Census, & others.
- Free and easy to use
- Available nation-wide — any state, county, custom combination of geographies, and for the Demographics report, also sub-county.
- Updated continuously with the latest data.
- Uses reliable, published government data.
- Downloadable as Excel, PDF, and Word.
- CaRDI uses this system in their demographic training sessions – highly recommended!
- Cornell Program on Applied Demographics: http://pad.human.cornell.edu
- ACS Calculator: http://pad.human.cornell.edu/acscalc/index.cfm
- U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder: http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- NYS School District Budget Playground Tool (Study the impact of future budget assumptions): http://pad.human.cornell.edu/schools/budg_scen.cfm
- NYS School District Reorganizer Tool (Select other school districts on a map to see the effects of potential mergers, including amount of State incentive aid offered): http://pad.human.cornell.edu/schools/reorg.cfm
- NYS School Benchmarker Tool (Compare your school with its Benchmark Schools): http://benchmarker.nyruralschools.org/
- NYS Fiscal Stress Monitoring System: http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/fiscalmonitoring/
- Cornell Program on Applied Demographics, Reference Maps: http://pad.human.cornell.edu/maps2010/index.cfm
- County maps by state: http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/07ccdb/appd.pdf
- Metro maps: http://www.census.gov/prod/2010pubs/10smadb/appendixc.pdf
- SimplyMap: http://simplymap.com/login.html
- Social Explorer Maps: http://www.socialexplorer.com/explore/maps
- PolicyMap: http://www.policymap.com/